ISO Standard 45001: 2018 is designed to improve workplace safety levels and replace OHSAS 18001/2007, and organizations certified according to OHSAS 18001: 2007 will migrate to the new standard by the end of the transition period – 11.03 .2021 during which all OHSAS 18001 certificates will continue to be valid.
The main change brought about by ISO 45001/2018 is the focus on the interaction between an organization and its business environment, while OHSAS 18001 has considered more managing security threats and other internal issues.
Health and safety at work is no longer treated as a “stand-alone” subject, but must be seen in the perspective of managing a secure and sustainable organization.
Advantages of ISO 45001 implementation and certification:
- leadership commitment to improving occupational health and safety conditions,
- reducing workplace accidents,
- reducing absenteeism and staff turnover,
- creating a culture of health and safety that encourages employees to assume an active role for their own health and safety at work,
- the ability to comply with legal and regulatory requirements